Whole Grain Breakfast Blueberry Mini Bundts will have the whole family clamouring for breakfast!
Hey guys I know I just posted yesterday, but this has just been one of those weeks, where I have had a lot of deadlines. And you know me, you know I am nearly constitutionally incapable of skipping any opportunity (commitment) to bake bundt cakes!
This month’s theme for Bundt Bakers, Breakfast, made me extra happy because I am one of those people who believes cake was made to be eaten in the morning. I went pretty simple, because as it turns out we are all still craving blueberries in baked goods. Alex had her 3rd grade state testing the week I made these, so I asked her what she wanted for breakfast every morning. She picked blueberries, I made sure they were whole grain, and each morning she also had a protein (hard boiled egg, sausage, etc). Both girls have been begging me to make them again since we ran out, so I believe you could say they were a hit!
I actually adapted a recipe that has been on this blog before for these cakes, the Allspice Whole Grain Sour Cream Muffins (pardon those old photos!). I went with this recipe because I knew I wanted the heartiness of a whole grain cake, and King Arthur Flour, the original inspiration for the recipe, does a great job with whole grains in their King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks). And yes you may notice I am using the words muffin and cake interchangeably–I know there are those who would disagree with me, but as far as I am concerned muffins are cakes we convince ourselves that it is ok to eat and not call dessert. Some specific cakes (sponge, pound, genoise, etc) are obviously different from muffins, but for purposes of a breakfast cake especially I do not see a difference.
Be sure to check out all the fabulous breakfast bundt cakes we have to share with you down below the recipe!
- 2 cups (240g) white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup (60g) AP flour
- 1½ t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 4 T (1/2 stick or 57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (225g) sugar
- zest of one large lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt (I subbed some sour cream when I ran out of yogurt)
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy and almost white in color. Add the lemon zest and cream a little longer. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat to incorporate.
- Add the yogurt and the flour mixture, alternating, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, in 2 and 3 additions respectively. Mix on low speed to incorporate after each addition. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease your mini bundt pan (enough for 12 mini bundts, so probably 2 pans).
- Scoop the batter into the prepared bundtlette wells, dividing the batter evenly. Bake the bundts until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17-22 minutes (check at 17). Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling.
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. Thanks to Kelly for hosting this month!
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send me an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
- Breakfast Banana Bundt Cake from Varada at Varada’s Kitchen
- Blackberry Chocolate Coffee Cake from Lauren at From Gate to Plate
- Breakfast Bundt from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Callaloo & Saltfish Mini Bundt from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Cheesy Bacon Sausage Brioche Bundt from Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Cheesy Breakfast Sausage Bundt from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Feta Cheese and Sundried Tomato Breakfast Bundt from Maria at Box of Stolen Socks
- French Toast Bundt Cake with Maple-Bacon Glaze from Felice at All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Granola Cake from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Maple Bacon Bundt Cake with Bacon Pecan Streusel Swirl from Tux at Brooklyn Homemaker
- Mimosa Bundt Cake from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Orange Blueberry Bundt Cake from Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Sausage and Potato Bundt from Margaret at Tea and Scones
- Whole Grain Breakfast Blueberry Mini Bundts from Laura at The Spiced Life
Affiliate links were used in this post, but only to link to items that I would be discussing and linking to anyway.