I had mixed feelings about whether I should participate in #ElleAPalooza. I did not know Elle, who it turns out was actually named LeeAnn, but I most definitely knew her blog, Elle’s New England Kitchen. And like bloggers everywhere I was shocked to hear she had suddenly and unexpectedly died. In the end, despite not knowing her, I decided to participate for multiple reasons. For one, I did know her blog and had browsed it on multiple occasions. For another, it does not take knowing someone to be shocked and grieved to hear of a 45 year old wife and mother of 4 suddenly passing. And to understand the need to celebrate her life and her blog in a tribute that makes clear to her family how treasured she was in the blogosphere. So for all these reasons I decided to participate–and as I read through her blog, looking for a recipe, I was struck by the vibrancy of her voice and saddened to think that it had been silenced.
In the end I settled on her recipe for Agave Lemon Cake Bread. I was curious about baking with a liquid sweetener, and agave syrup is something I have around all the time. Elle baked it as 2 loaf cakes, but I decided to take my new Nordic Ware Star Bundt Pan for a test drive and used it instead. I followed the recipe as written, whereas Elle substituted coconut milk for some of the eggs, a change that in retrospect I wish I had made. My children both loved this cake, but I am rather mortified to report it was too eggy for John and myself. I should have followed Elle’s lead but I was afraid that Sammy would be able to detect the coconut milk. Lesson learned. I am assuming that this accounts for how much darker my cake got. I also changed the recipe by adding a lemon glaze. For a comparable glaze, check out my recipe for Glazed Citrus Pistachio Bundt Cake.
Toasting someone’s life with a slice of cake might seem a little odd–but not to a food blogger! Here’s to you Elle. Your voice will be greatly missed.
If you would like to check out any of the other #ElleAPalooza tributes, here are some links:
- Banana Bread Beer Donut Muffins from Heather at He Cooks She Cooks
- Better Than Ultimate Brownies from Felice at All That’s Left Are the Crumbs
- Cheddar Cornbread Bacon Pancakes from Amy at Savory Moments
- Edamame Ginger Dip from Michelle at Taste As You Go
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cinnamon Cookies from Dawn at Vanilla Kitchen
- Garden Gazpacho with Hazelnuts from Kristina at Spabettie
- Elle’s Bratwurst and Apple Kale Sandwiches from Reneé at Kudos Kitchen by Reneé
- Elle’s Favorite Bean Dip from Rachelle at Mommy? I’m Hungry!
- Elle’s Lemon Agave Cake from Laura at The Spiced Life
- Elle’s Mushroom Bourguignon with Venison from Jenn at The Leftover Queen
- Experimental Scoops – Hard Cider and Plum Sherbert from Jenn at The Leftover Queen
- Insalata Caprese with Fried Buitoni Ravioli from Gabi at The Feast Within
- Moscow Mule from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Raw Cream of Asparagus Soup from Kristina at Spabettie
- Spiced Pumpkin Chickpea Stew from Renee at Flamingo Musings
- Supreme Pizza Soup from Heather at girlichef
- Supremely Tasty Puff Pastry Pizza Tart from Kristina at Spabettie
- Tomato Soup from ZeBot the Zebra at ZeBot’s Kitchen
- Vegan Oat Cranberry Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies from Katrina at Baking and Boys
For information about ways you can help Elle’s family (funds to donate to, etc) please check out the Friends of Elle Facebook page.
Amazon affiliate links were used in this post, but only to link to items I would discussing and linking to anyway.