Twitter Facebook Pinterest GooglePlus Instagram

#ChocolateParty: Chocolate Dulce de Leche Bars

by Laura on March 4, 2013

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Bars

When Roxana from Roxana’s Home Baking announced the theme for this month’s Chocolate Party was caramel, I had mixed feelings. I am very picky about caramel, and often do not care for it with chocolate. It is just so sweet. But then inspiration struck, I could use milk caramel, i.e., dulce de leche, about which I am not picky at all.

20130223-IMG_1978

20130223-IMG_1995I forget if I have ever mentioned it, but I actually grew up eating this stuff homemade, only we called it Brown Wiggle. Yes you read that right. Hey this was unpretentious Middle America Ohio–we had no idea the stuff was famous for being sophisticated South American milk caramel. My mom would boil a can of sweetened condensed milk, and we would eat it oh so slowly over the following days, by the spoonful. And oddly, I loved it even without salt. My sister would disagree, but there is something almost savory about dulce de leche, that keeps it from being as sweet as regular caramel. My brother, whose house I brought these bars to, actually asked if that was the almost cheesecake flavor he could discern, and I think that is a decent way of describing it, just not as tangy.

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Bars

20130224-IMG_0940

So about taking these bars to my brother’s house… I have to take a moment to indulge in some bragging. Because as far as I am concerned my parents have the cutest grandkids ever. And I am pretty sure every single one of them has a sweet tooth, although some maybe more so than others. Pardon the pics–I forgot my good camera, so these were all taken with a phone.

20130224-IMG_0918

And speaking of these particular bars, they are a good bet to share because they are almost obscenely rich. As a matter of fact, the next time I make the recipe I think I would make more of the shortbread crust. Heavy cream plus dulce de leche plus rich, dark chocolate makes the kind of treat that needs to be sliced small and shared!

20130224-IMG_0932

Can you tell which kid is used to hamming up for the camera while eating? And which one likes to pretend I am not there, taking the picture?

20130224-IMG_0925

Sophie, on the other hand, a year younger than Sammy, could give Sammy a run for her money in the hamming for

20130224-IMG_0961the camera while eating department if she was at our house more often! And why, you might ask, was I visiting my nieces and nephew? Not that I need a reason, but is there any better one than this?:

20130224-IMG_0533

OK, OK enough family bragging and back to these fantastic bars. I actually found the recipe using Eat Your Books, which I have praised elsewhere. This particular recipe is from Gourmet, which I have indexed at Eat Your Books as part of the Epicurious site. So just another instance of EYB coming in handy. You can find the recipe, which I did not adapt, here.

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Bars

If you want to participate in Chocolate Party, just make a recipe with chocolate and caramel. And follow these rules, and then link up below:

1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose. It can be a simple no bake treat or a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is totally up to you.

2.) Include a link back to a monthly round-up or the Chocolate party page. Optional, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar.

3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.

And here is the linky:

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Joanne March 4, 2013 at 7:29 am

I am very picky about my caramel also in the sense that…if I find a recipe that works, I LOVE it!! Too many of them end up as burnt hard messes and I refuse to believe it’s due to user error :P Dulce de leche on the other hand is a dream. Especially in these bars.

All kids are so cute!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen March 4, 2013 at 9:15 am

These are amazing Laura! So smooth and creamy. Where on earth did you get that dulce de leche? And with the label in spanish. It´s one of the oldest brands here.
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen recently posted..Salted Caramel Millionaire´s Graham Cracker BarsMy Profile

Laura March 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

We have a FABULOUS international (and everything else too) grocery store here in Cincinnati, Jungle Jim’s. It is in the South American aisle. :)

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen March 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Indeed fabulous! If you find ddl La Salamadra you might want to try it. It´s one of the best and I know they export it everywhere. They have a ddl with chocolate version too.

Laura March 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I used to buy that one actually til my sister made fun of me for spending the extra money on it over the plastic tubs.

Sydney @ Crepes of Wrath March 4, 2013 at 10:30 am

YUM. Looks like a lot of happy faces in those photos! ;)

Liz March 4, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I’ve been to your Jungle Jim’s!!! What a fabulous market…wish it wasn’t a 2 hour drive :/ LOVE these gorgeous, caramelly brownies…just specacular!!!

Laura March 4, 2013 at 5:19 pm

It is about 45 mins for me, so I go about once a month and stock up. 2 hours would be harder–although maybe worth it depending on which direction 2 hours. Are you in Ohio?

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts March 4, 2013 at 6:27 pm

That is a lot of happy faces over these bars! They sound wonderful!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 4, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Can you believe I’ve never had dulce de leche? These look amazing!

The Ninja Baker March 5, 2013 at 2:10 am

Your kidlet photos are the best! And your Dulce de Leche Bars with shortbread crust look fantastic, too =)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) March 5, 2013 at 2:23 am

I love dulce de leche, what delicious bars!

Suzanne March 5, 2013 at 5:07 am

Mmmm…these bars look mighty good and from the cute happy faces everyone loved them and that says it all. Great recipe, I’m putting these on my short list to try!

Veronica Gantley March 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Oh my those bars look lovely! I dont think I could stop at eating just one. The hubbie is going to love these!
Veronica Gantley recently posted..The Best Nappa Chicken Salad Sandwich not from Panera BreadMy Profile

grace March 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

those are the most ultra-creamy chocolate bars i’ve ever seen! it’s like satin frosting, but a little bit sturdier! dynamite, laura. :)

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen March 7, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I absolutely love dulce de leche so to have it infused with chocolate. Gosh, I would swoon for one of those bars right now. Scratch that five of these bars! ;)

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen March 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

You had me at ‘dulce de leche’ and after reading ‘chocolate’ I just got weak in the knees. This is fantastic. How did I miss this post? Ooooh, I can’t wait to try baking this. Thanks again, Laura. Nice of you to come visit my blog – thanks for the kind comments :-)