Twitter Facebook Pinterest GooglePlus Instagram

#BundtAMonth: Mint Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Creme de Menthe

by Laura on December 1, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Creme de Menthe

Oh Bundt A Month, how I love you. Seriously. I was already addicted to bundt cakes, but being “forced” (inspired, assigned, whatever) to create this cake may be the happiest thing that has ever happened to me dessert-wise. And that is saying something.

Mint Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Creme de Menthe

But I should start at the beginning. The theme for December’s #BundtaMonth is Booze or Booze-Inspired. So, for example, if you are pregnant and thinking fondly of Bellinis, make a cake with peach puree and 7-Up. On the other hand, if nothing is standing in your way, grab the stuff with an actual proof on the label and get baking! And be sure to come back and share with us (see details below).

Creme de menthe mixed with sour cream for bundt cake

So about this actual cake. I contemplated and rejected tons of different recipes and booze combinations for this cake. I am not one of those people for whom bourbon in a dessert is exciting. I love Kahlua, but I’ve already done that so I wanted something new. I kept coming back to mint, but all of the mint cakes I could find were made with packaged cake mix (boo! hiss!) and revoltingly bright green. Then a friend of mine asked me if I had a foolproof chocolate chip pound cake to impress. Of course I immediately thought of Lisa Yockelson’s sour cream pound cake which is (justifiably) the reason I became obsessed with bundt cakes. And I immediately started wondering if I could adapt it…

batter for mint chocolate chip bundt cake with creme de menthe

I am happy to report the answer is a resounding yes!

I replaced some of the sour cream with creme de menthe, but I also boosted it with a little peppermint extract because I did not want to lose the richness of the sour cream by using more creme de menthe, and I did not want the cake to be neon green. I used low fat sour cream because that is what I had, but I boosted it with a smidge of heavy cream.

mini mint chocolate chip bundtlettes

The cake was a stunning success. I told John that I may never make it again because I could not stop eating it. That first part is a lie, by the way–I know I will find a reason to make it again, even if I have to invent a holiday. So a big thank you to Anuradha and Lora for creating Bundt a Month!

remaining hunk of mint chocolate chip bundt cake with creme de menthe

Here’s how you can be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
- Get inspired by your favorite cocktail, mocktail or just use your favorite liqueur and bake us a Bundt for Boozy December.
- Post it before December 31, 2012.
- Use the #BundtAMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title should read #BundtAMonth: Chocolate Cinnamon Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to both Lora and Anuradha’s announcement posts.

Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from over 350 Bundt cake recipes.

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

Chocolate Ganache glazed Mint Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Creme de Menthe

Be sure to check out everyone else’s fantastic cakes!

Araby Spice-Limoncello Bundt Cake with Limoncello Glaze by Lora from Cake Duchess
Bailey’s and Buttershots Bundt Cake by Karen from In The Kitchen With KP
Banana Pineapple Bundt Cake with Coconut Rum Glaze by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry
Chocolate Bourbon Mini Bundt by Holly from A Baker’s House
Chocolate Port Bundt Cake by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
Eggnog Rum Pound Cake by Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious
Madeira Pound Bundt Cake by Renee from Magnolia Days
Mint Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Creme de Menthe by Laura from The Spiced Life
Shirley Temple Bundt Cake by Kim Beaulieu from Cravings Of A Lunatic
Spiked Eggnog Bundt Cake with Bourbon Glaze by Kate from Food Babbles
Sweet Potato Bourbon Bundt by Jennie from The Messy Baker Blog
Long Island Iced TeaCake by Deb from Knitstamatic
Rum and Raisin Butter Bundt with Rum Honey Glaze by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
Tiramisu Bundt Cake with Kahlúa Mascarpone Glaze by Anuradha from Baker Street
Vanilla and Bourbon Cake by Kate from Diet Hood
Vanilla Mini Bundt Cakes with Kahlúa by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Stacy December 1, 2012 at 1:25 am

My younger daughter is a huge fan of mint chocolate chip ANYTHING so I need to make this for her. Beautiful Bundt, Laura!

baker street December 1, 2012 at 2:15 am

Woah! Look at the texture of that batter! This sounds just perfect, Laura! I LOVE the color, the glaze, the flavors you chose! And those mini bundts are so so pretty! I must get myself that pan! Thank you for baking along with us!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen December 1, 2012 at 7:28 am

I simply love chocolate and mint, and this cake is the most unexpected in the best way. I like that it´s not a chocolate cake with some mint liqueur. It´s gorgeous!

Joanne December 1, 2012 at 8:38 am

I am SO into the mint chocolate combo and so this sounds just about perfect! I really love that it’s not green also….because that would be infinitely less appealing. :P

CJ at Food Stories December 1, 2012 at 9:30 am

What a great flavor combination :-)

The Messy Baker December 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I can’t help but drool over these delicious little cakes. They look wonderful. Happy #BAM! Pinned.

Renee December 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Such a beautiful cake and thank goodness it isn’t bright green. I’ve been wanting that bundt pan for a while and now I think I’ll add it to my Christmas wish list.

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom December 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm

OMG! I love this!!! So inventive!!! Peppermint extract and creme de menthe! Wow! I can just taste the minty loveliness! :)

Elizabeth December 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

This sounds amazing!

Elizabeth December 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

And Btw Brian has already requested the regular chocolate chip one for his birthday cake :-)

Deb @ knitstamatic December 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm

What a creative idea! chocolate chip mint makes me thing of ice cream and peppermint patties, two things I love. I may have to give this cake a try. You made me think of the last time I had creme de menthe…a friend and I (way too long ago to admit) made a drink called a grasshopper for new year’s eve…mighty tasty.

Kate | Food Babbles December 1, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Oh. My. Goodness!! This sounds SO good! I love mint chocolate chip anything and this sounds amazing. Love the creme de menthe topping too. WOW!

Holly December 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm

This will have to be the cake I bake for my mother’s birthday– she would love the flavors and would be blown away by this cake. How creative and pretty! I can see why the cake didn’t last long; I would have eaten it for breakfast, lunch and dinner too!

Kate@Diethood December 2, 2012 at 10:37 pm

My my my… talk about culinary creativity! I love this cake!!

Terra December 2, 2012 at 11:22 pm

That does sound like a dangerous cake LOL…..dangerously good! I love mint and chocolate treats! Your cake looks delicious! Hugs, Terra

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today December 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Bund cake is very popular in a Christmas period in my country. I like that it’s so lovely green inside :)

grace December 5, 2012 at 8:56 pm

chocolate + mint will never not be good. i think i’d quickly become a sot if there was a constant supply of creme de menthe liqueur at the ready. :)

Sydney @ Crepes of Wrath December 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

Yum! This bundt looks de-freaking-licious. I love the drizzled chocolate on top – it looks so pretty and I don’t have to get my piping bag out!

Andrejka December 9, 2012 at 10:22 am

páni vypadá to skvěle!!:)

Sally December 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Question for you – how many cups of batter does this make?

I’m debating buying a small bundt pan to make gifts for my daughters’ teachers:

This one:

or this one:

The latter description says that it holds 2 1/4 cups of batter per mold, but the former one doesn’t say!

Any recs? Thanks!

Laura December 14, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I believe it makes about 20.

Sally December 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thanks! So 2 full-sized Bundt pans?