Twitter Facebook Pinterest GooglePlus Instagram

Blueberry Custard Pie–And A Discovery

by Laura on August 29, 2008

I had such high hopes for this pie. I mean, look at it, it’s so lovely with its layer of jeweled blueberries.

But it turns out I really, really dislike custard pie.

How was I to know? My mom never made them–she and my dad dislike them also. But John and the girls liked it–it is almost gone, so I figure it is probably worth sharing. My mom tried it and said my grandpa would have loved it, which makes me think maybe it is a good recipe–if you like custard pies.

I got the filling from Becke over at Columbus Foodie, who used it to make a Blackberry Custard Pie. However, I chose not to use a traditional pie crust, but rather a crust that is pressed into the pie pan, taken from my mom’s standby blueberry pie which she got from the winner of a contest that Emeril had.

If you like custard pie and want to try this one, I do recommend increasing the vanilla. We all felt it was overwhelmed by the custard itself and the blueberries. But here is the recipe as I made it.

Blueberry Custard Pie
Adapted from sources listed above

For the crust:

2 cups AP flour
2 t sugar
1 t salt
1/2 to 2/3 cup neutral tasting oil
3 to 4 T milk

Into a 9-inch pie plate, whisk together the flour, sugar, and the salt. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together 1/2 cup salad oil and 3 tablespoons milk with a fork. Pour that over the flour mixture in pie plate and mix with a fork until all flour is evenly dampened. If it is still too dry to work with your hands, mix a little more oil with a little milk and add to flour mixture. With your hands press the dough evenly against the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan. Crimp the edges of the bottom crust or use a fork dipped in milk to flatten the crust along the rim.

For the filling:

2 cups cleaned and dried blueberries
4 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups milk
Beans scraped from one Bourbon vanilla bean
1 t vanilla (I would use still more actually)

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Sprinkle blueberries in bottom of prepared pie crust. Mix beaten eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla together and pour over blueberries. Bake at 400 degrees until custard tests done with a knife coming clean when stuck halfway between the rim and the middle.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Steve Ballmer August 29, 2008 at 7:53 pm

I like your blog!

You must use Vista!

RecipeGirl August 29, 2008 at 8:24 pm

I actually do love a good custard, so I might just like this custard pie. I like a good fresh blueberry pie too though, or actually prefer a blueberry tart! How disappointing for you… on to the next newly discovered recipe, right??

That Girl August 29, 2008 at 11:29 pm

One day soon I’ll blog about my disastrous custard pie experience from last night.

Laura August 29, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Recipe girl: absolutely–I have some divine blondies to share soon, a really spectacular recipe. I let the kids and hubby finish the pie. And I agree, tarts are best.

that girl: ooh goody, make me feel better. :)

Beth August 30, 2008 at 4:22 am

The photo looks good. Would like to try it as I LOVE custard!!

noble pig August 30, 2008 at 4:50 pm

It looks delicious to me! I love a good custard pie. Thank you.

LeilaZ99 August 30, 2008 at 8:41 pm

I’m with you…really not a custard fan. Your pie looks fantastic, though, even if I’m not sure I’d enjoy eating it. Sorry you put in all the effort for something disappointing!

KJ August 30, 2008 at 10:58 pm

I love custard pies. So think I would really enjoy this. I love the idea of adding blueberries.

Grace August 31, 2008 at 4:45 am

i’ve tried to enjoy custard pies, but they’re just too eggy for me. in my view, pies should be fruity, and that’s all there is too it. the blueberries are mighty alluring though, and it makes for a pretty picture. :)

Amy August 31, 2008 at 11:24 pm

I’m with you — in fact I hate custard in any form — but at least it came out pretty!

Laura September 1, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Beth and Noble Pig: thanks! I thought it was rather pretty myself.

Leila, Grace & Amy: yes eggy is the word. of course I did not use it in the post since I didn't WANT to turn people off but I did indeed find it be grossly eggy.

KJ: I hope you try it.

Kristen September 1, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I love custard and I think I love custard pie. It has actually been so long since I’ve tried it to be honest with you. Your photos make me think I’d love it though… it looks good!

Gourmet Mama June 13, 2009 at 7:08 am

It's too bad you don't seem to have an affinity for custard pie. But nonetheless, you made a great-looking pie. Looks so yummy!